terça-feira, novembro 08, 2005

School Trip

WEDNESDAY:
Meeting in school with MarK and Mark to go somewhere was the beginning of something quite different. Normally, when a school arranges a more than one-day-stand in a different place, buses are rent so that nobody gets lost.This time we were supposed to be guided by our fellow schoolmates from Den Bosch/Holland to Brussels/Belgium. They had actually never been to the hostel were we stood for four nights but luckely we found Joka, a teacher in Central Sation. We got a strange 40%-traveling-next-to-a-student-train-ticket-discount, and that was good, knowing that we are not considered students here.
We met Bill Easter, Gabrielle and all the other guys from 's Hertogenbosch and Breda after a rough walk through Brussels' red light district.
The first good thing I realized was that there were many young people in that place. People my age were already becoming a strange specie to me. Living outside home it is something that it is not very common around Den Bosch.
We had dinner together, but not before Joka, told a very long dutch story about Belgium political system. We arm-wrestled for a bit in the restaurant and went drinking few beers together in the youth hostel. Bill payed every drink in the pizzeria!

THURSDAY
I woke up drunk after 3 hours of heavy sleep. I knew I had to handle with 9 more hours of poison in my body.
In St. Lukas School of Fine Arts, Joke screamed to me about "basic composition" rules. I got disappointed when she called me lazy for not cutting the poster paper has Toine (another teacher) suggested. I cut it all wrong on purpose afterwards. Bla, Bla, Bla. Funny... and nice work on The Society of the Spectacle (Guy Debord)... Bla, Bla, Bla... Sleeping while others were getting tired.
SkyBrussels
I woke up with Vika and Mariele leaving to Den Bosch. They left three days earlier by apparently no reason at all (although Vika said she was feeling sick), it seemed to me she was pretty alright.
We (I, Albino, MarK and Mark) had a couple of beers in the bar and planned to build 4 posters until next thursday (beersday). Each one of us have to make a beautiful poster using only typographic elements from Comic Sans. Then we went to bed.

FRIDAY
MarkPissed
We were split in groups to visit 4 distinct design studios, and after daylight we got together to discuss about what we've seen. The most interesting atelier was one called Base. Their way of working led into a verbal war over things like professional specification and global awareness. When things got a little bit too hot, they developed the rest of the talk in dutch and I went for a shower upstairs.
Later we went relaxing and had a few warm moments of experience exchanging with some Breda students. The music was horrible all night long and everyone went to bed at three. Albino and Mark kept partying by themselves and went to Fuse. I saved myself to Ricardo Villalobos.

SATURDAY
As Mark and all the other Den Bosch students had left, the last three of us (the two portuguese and MarK) met in La Bourse stairs. We followed our trip to what I imagine it is the arty part of Brussels. We have been into some record/design-toys/T-shirts-etc shops and I got a nice t-shirt to replace the odor charged ones back in the hostel.
SpeakerÁstato
SarahSickness
I got some time to visit Hospital Cesar de Paepe, not because of its unique type choice for their "House-Style", but because, unfortunetly, a "long time no see" friend from Brussels who lived with me for five months in Porto 4 years ago, was sick. Luckely everything is good now and at the moment I,m writing she has already left the hospital. Check madame la belge Sarah s'il vous plait!
ComicSansHospital

Ricardo Villalobos at Fuse: Fiasco!
The over-crowded dance area and the vanilla sent smoke from the smoke machine were enough too convince anyone to leave. But I stood, believing I could have a little fun dancing to good music after almost two months in the too calm city of Den Bosch.
I realized again of the german minimal techno decadence. I start to believe that dance music has a different audience here in the northern european countries. Allow me to define it has a less lucid public. After five years of Cologne techno dance floors domination, Villalobos shouldn´t be happy when the crowd goes wild every time he drops the bass. There is more to sound than making euphoria out of excited-idiot-techno-pill-heads with slight too subtile tweak moves. We decided to leave after 50 minutes of Ricardo Villalobos. Shame on him... 10 hours later we reached Den Bosch.

Playhouse T-shirt